In today’s competitive job market, CAD professionals need every advantage they can get. With SOLIDWORKS fast becoming the industry standard for engineering and design, developing SOLIDWORKS skills and certifications will provide a proven edge for students looking for a career in the industry.
Opened by the UK Government in 2014, PROCAT is the UK’s first college of advanced technology to be opened in 22 years. PROCAT decided to upgrade from AUTOCAD, its existing 3D CAD system, to SOLIDWORKS to help train and develop high quality engineers for UK industry. They invested in a 500 Campus Education Pack, with add-ons including:
• 13 Seats of SOLIDWORKS Standard
• 2 Seats of SOLIDWORKS Professional
• 1 Seat of SOLIDWORKS Premium
• SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation including electronics cooling module
• SOLIDWORKS Simulation Premium with FEA capabilities
• SOLIDWORKS Plastics for the validation of injection modelling
• SOLIDWORKS Electrical 2D
• SOLIDWORKS Electrical 3D including MCAD and ECAD
• SOLIDWORKS Inspection
• SOLIDWORKS Composer for technical authoring
• CAMWorks for 5 axis manufacturing with G-code
• TransMagic for data translation
Alan Claughan, Lecturer in Engineering at PROCAT, talks about how SOLIDWORKS is improving the learning experience for hundreds of apprentices coming through PROCAT’s doors.
Alan says: “Apprentices are very visual learners. With SOLIDWORKS, they can model something up from scratch, incorporate electronics and see their ideas appear straight away on screen before sending it to 3D print. It has turned our CAD teaching on its head.
“SOLIDWORKS is used in 9 out of 10 of the top universities. In terms of job prospects, it’s becoming the industry standard platform for learning.”
Dominic Callahan, Mechanical Engineering student at PROCAT, says SOLIDWORKS is the most user-friendly software he’s ever come across. “I’ve used CATIA and Autodesk but SOLIDWORKS is the one that’s up there for me. It gets me up to speed before I go into an industry position. The tutorials are really useful and I have a student version of SOLIDWORKS that I can use at home that helps me get through the assignments much quicker.”
Check out the SOLIDWORKS Educational product range.