Date Posted: Friday 2 August 2019
We require an experienced SOLIDWORKS Design Engineer to join our busy and diverse team. The role holder will be responsible for the design, drawing and development of sheet metal products, new as well as maintenance of existing products. They will contribute to the Company’s success by assisting the Managing Director in matters relating to product development, value engineering and real time solving of production problems. Furthermore, they will be proactive and efficient whilst keeping a close eye on costs. This is a permanent opportunity based in Oldham, Greater Manchester. We are offering a competitive salary and the chance of future career prospects.
Duties will include:
• Carrying out the design process and development for both new and existing products sheet metal products
• To supervise and oversee the designs through the factory, ensuring accuracy and quality
• To be responsible for preparing bills of materials for the manufacture of the designs and assemblies, including documenting of all part numbers and drawing references
• To liaise with shop floor supervisors to point out potential quality issues through production
• To create reports for potential pitfalls within the production process
• Interpreting customer ideas and preparing drawings and 3D models for manufacture, including all dimensions, tolerances, finishes and notes
• Assisting Senior Management with matters relating to product development
• To identify opportunities to reduce costs in the design, materials used and manufacturing techniques
• To provide feedback for continuous improvement of products and services
What are we looking for?
As this is a specialised design role, it is ideally suited for an experienced CAD Design Engineer from a sheet metal background. Furthermore, it is required that the ideal candidate is fully conversant with SOLIDWORKS, specifically the sheet metal module and has proven experience of using this within a sheet metal environment. The chosen candidate must be able to practice good interpersonal skills to successfully liaise with shop floor supervisors. They must be able to recognise potential quality issues through production and indicate these to the supervisors. Experience with creating reports to outline production pitfalls would also be a distinct advantage as well as experience with creating bills of materials. Finally, the ideal candidate will be IT literate and proficient in all standard Microsoft programs.
Your Experience / Skills
2 years design office experience with preferably a sheet metal background