Date Posted: Wednesday 7 August 2019
About the company
Inheriting Earth is a Microplastics technology company focused on sustainable design and the
circular economy. It was founded with the ambition to change the world and to create a team of
people with the skills and abilities to deliver that change. We are working on some of the biggest
challenges of our time, removing micro-plastics from the UK’s waterways creating a circular
economy from the tons of plastic heading towards our Ocean.
The Role: Mechanical Design Engineer
We are looking for a ‘swiss army knife’ of a Mechanical Design Engineer. Someone who is unphased
by the impossible - as this is often our benchmark. You will need a level head, great ability to adapt
and change between projects and tasks. You might be working on ghost gear fishing net capture in
the morning and an implantable cardiovascular technology in the afternoon.
You will be directly reporting to Adam Root, Inheriting Earth’s founder. Your role is to be a safe pair
of hands in designing new products. You will effectively be his right-hand man or woman - being
involved in every project across the business.
The work is interesting and diverse, concentrating on early-stage concepts and research with the
knowledge and ability to take it to production. We work across many disciplines; our directive is to
help people and planet. This means we can be working in energy, medical, waste services or
something completely new. We have been compared to ‘mad inventors’ mixed with social
entrepreneurs. Your part in the team is to funnel that energy into projects and products.
Your job is to innovate and deliver game-changing technology from inception to production. We
often work with sketches on the back of a napkin, then turn that idea into a working prototype and
We expect you to act in an environmentally conscious way, with a passion to do more. Not only
reduce environmental impact but be a role model for positive change.
Your role will include and not be limited to:
• Strong competency in fluid dynamics.
• Designing new products in 2D sketches and 3D CAD.
• Building test rigs, visual models and other physical representations of technology.
• Testing, testing and more testing. A fundamental part of designing, new technology is
understanding how it works and how it doesn’t.
• Working with patent attorneys and dealing with sensitive data and documents to secure our
• Having knowledge and passion for the Circular Economy and Cradle to Cradle design.
• Being the first point of contact for Inheriting Earth. You will be representing the company on
the phone and through emails setting up meetings and organising calls.
• The ability and desire to travel to client meetings nationally and internationally when
• Supporting health and safety (writing risk assessments, getting COSHH Sheets etc.)
• You may, in the near future, have direct reports and/or interns. Experience in this would be
Your Experience / Skills
• A strong mechanical background.
• Minimum education: A degree at 2:1 and above or equivalent level of experience in
mechanical engineering, product design, a science discipline or similar.
• A high competency in use of hand tools, power tools and heavy machinery, including lathes
• A proven record of high-quality, low-cost, fast turnaround rig building. We often deliver
swiss watch made on IKEA timelines and budgets.
• High competency in testing products and technologies. This includes designing test
equipment, monitoring conditions and getting dirty and doing the test yourself.
• The ability to create test standards and competitor benchmarking.
• A proven record of taking a product to market. Dealing with suppliers, negotiating deals and
samples of working internationally is desirable.
• An understanding of injection moulding and tooling with actions, preferably you have signed
off tooling before.
• Ability to sketch and communicate your ideas visually.
• A high standard of CAD including parametric, expression driven and surface modelling. (we
use SOLIDWORKS and Fusion 360).
• The ability to be able to pitch ideas and present to clients and customers.
• Demonstrated exposure to high risk, high-value problems with proof of delivery on complex
and challenging solutions.
• High competency in IT literacy - using programs such as the Windows suite (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Native level speaker in English and high written competency in English.