Date Posted: Wednesday 6 June 2018
Unwin Safety Systems
The Company: Unwin Safety Systems is a market leader is the design, testing and supply of products to enable the safe restraint of wheelchair vehicle passengers. The facility in Martock has benefited from investment and has a crash test facility for product validation. Unwin Safety Systems also takes a leading role in the review and improvement of UK, European and International standards. The products are used globally and due to a recent change of ownership we are now seeking to expand into the North American market. The Application Engineer role is required to assist with this development. We are a wholly owned subsidiary of BraunAbility (US) with R&D and production facilities in North America and Sweden in addition to the UK.
Core Purpose of Role
The Design Engineer role at Unwin Safety Systems involves co-ordinating the needs of Purchasing, Production and Sales, through the use of various systems and processes, to develop specifications for changes and product. The position is responsible for maintaining the engineering integrity for all parts and assemblies at a high level.
The Design Engineer reports directly to the Engineering Manager for all day to day and operational issues. This role within the organisation has the responsibility for the design and specification of our products which are used in safety critical applications.
The role requires the Design Engineer to develop new products which fall part of the business plans and strategy. Ensuring that the business remains competitive in its product offering. This includes developing the product through each aspect of its project process. Including sourcing/producing prototypes, testing and production support. Alongside that, the Design Engineer will manage and maintain an existing database of drawings to a high standard.
The post-holder is expected to carry out the responsibilities in a pro-active manner and to a high standard whilst ensuring key milestones related to projects are met on time. Meaning the product is bought to market within the agreed timeline.
Note: This job description may develop and evolve with the business.
• Consistently work within the Quality framework operated by the company
• Consistently work within the Product Development phase activity operated by the company
• Complete design and validation work to agreed timing plans
• Interpret and generate specification for new products or product improvement
• Design products with both 2D and 3D CAD systems
• Effectively maintain design record files as appropriate
• Define and perform static product validation testing
• Define and perform dynamic product validation testing
• Perform production sample testing
• Resolve customer related issues in a timely manner
• Effectively co-ordinate teams from Production, Purchasing and Sales to resolve engineering concerns / issues
• Actively participate in team or project based activities where required
• Undertake other reasonable duties which are part of, and incidental to, this type of work
Your Experience / Skills
Qualifications, knowledge and experience
• Knowledge and experience of the use of SOLIDWORKS and AutoCAD
• Demonstrable knowledge of engineering control process, e.g. part numbering methods, engineering change systems and purchase systems
• Knowledge of plastic moulding design and process
• Experience of aluminium extrusion design
• Experience of casting design
• Knowledge of disability transport issues
Skills and abilities
• Proven ability to deliver new designs to planned release dates
• Proven ability to generate specifications for product improvement
• Proven ability to perform physical validation testing of new designs
• Good interpersonal and communication skills both written and oral
• Sound analytical skills , with the ability to identify cause and effect, evaluate alternative solutions, solve problems and link to the wider context
• Ability to work with minimum supervision