A great feature added back in SOLIDWORKS 2013 was the ability to use Luxology native appearances for PhotoView 360.
This enables SOLIDWORKS users to make use of the huge range of additional appearances in Luxology’s online library.
For customers on an active SOLIDWORKS subscription this service is free!
To gain access to this materials database and start downloading new materials follow the steps below;
- In the Customer Portal, click on the link for “PhotoView 360 Appearances”.
- This will take you to a SOLIDWORKS page that contains the link, “SOLIDWORKS Asset Sharing”. Click on it.
- This will take you to the Luxology PhotoView 360 asset sharing site. Click on “Take me to the Assets >>”.
- Find the material you wish to use. This process is made easier by using the search command and category breakdown on the right side of the site.
- Once you have found your desired material click download and save the zip file to your custom appearances folder. If you do not have one save it to a new folder. Then go into SOLIDWORKS > System Options > File Locations > Custom - Appearances and specify the file location you saved the appearance to.
- Navigate to the downloaded zip file in windows explorer and extract the downloaded zip file to the same file location.
- Ensure that the appearance is not buried within another sub folder. The file depth here is key or the appearance wont show up in SOLIDWORKS.
- Open up SolidWorlks > Appearances, Scenes & Decals > Appearances > Custom Appearances. Your new material should be present. If not check your file depth.
By Jon Weston-Stanley
View the Video here