As a fast growing global organisation, Invertek Drives is dedicated to developing cutting edge technologies for integration into future generations of our world renowned Optidrive product range.
Based at our Welshpool Head Office and within the Innovation department, Invertek Drives are seeking to appoint an Industrial Designer to join our small E-CAD/M-CAD design team.
We are looking for a talented, self-motivated and enthusiastic designer with at least 4 years' experience. The successful candidate will be part of a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team, designing industrial electronic products from concept to production and will be involved in the entire life cycle of a product.
The ideal candidate will have an engineering background, knowledge of manufacturing processes with emphasis on injection moulding, the ability to comprehend new technologies, visualise solutions to technical problems and to communicate these solutions across departments. Applicants for this role must be competent SOLIDWORKS users with surface modelling and rendering experience.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Design of enclosures and mechanisms for industrial products, applying problem solving skills to help develop and expand our current range of innovative products
• Support Design Engineers in the development and ongoing improvement of new and existing products. Using external and in-house rapid prototyping methods to produce representative models
• Investigate, identify and implement practical solutions to optimize Form Fit and Function of new and existing mechanical assemblies
• Liaise with toolmakers/suppliers in other countries involving occasional overseas travel
• Implement Engineering design changes
• Ownership of preparing and delivering vocal and graphical presentations on behalf of the design team
• Produce graphical images and high-resolution renders
• Keep up to date with research and industry best practices
• Must have strong written, verbal and visual presentation skills including concept sketching.
• Very strong knowledge of SOLIDWORKS and PDM. Good knowledge of SOLIDWORKS Flow-simulation
• Competent in the use of Adobe graphic design software
• Must have a good knowledge of materials properties, their applications and manufacturing processes including plastic injection moulding and die casting
• Strong experience and knowledge of DFM
• Experience of FEA
• Ability to liaise with suppliers and manufacturers on a technical level
• Must have a portfolio with clear demonstration of design methodology
• Being well organised with the ability to meet strict deadlines
• Able to work as part of a team or unsupervised
• Strong creative thinking
• Must have a passion for developing technically complex, and innovative concepts
• Background in electronics a distinct advantage