Goal of position
The Product Development Engineer is a prime driver of the design and development of our next generation products as part of Loma’s Customer-Back Innovation programmes. This highly collaborative role uses sound engineering principles and creativity to conceptualise innovative solutions to customer challenges, convert them into working prototypes, before developing and refining them into production ready designs. The position stays abreast of the latest food and pharmaceutical industry trends and standards and leverages them into product developments to ensure Loma stays at the forefront of the industry.
- Champions the new development of inspection equipment (X-ray, Metal Detector and Checkweighers) as part of Loma’s Customer-Back Innovation programmes.
- Designs and develops systems and sub-systems incorporating a variety of mechanical and electrical components. Chiefly responsible for providing electrical input and design into the new product development process.
- Understands customer pain points, conceptualises solutions, produces prototypes, verifies and validates them, develops and refines products before producing final designs ready for production.
- Designs electrical schematics using SOLIDWORKS Electrical. Additionally, may undertake 3D modelling, layout and detail design using SOLIDWORKS, producing drawings and associated documentation in line with company standards.
- Works to deliver projects under Loma’s CBI framework requirements to timescales and budget, ensuring they meet goals and requirements.
- Identifies and manages technical risk through the product design and development lifecycle.
- Collaborates with all R&D functions, the Engineering Team and other departments to ensure the successful delivery of all new products.
- Undertakes any analysis and calculations required.
- Defines and implements Bills of Materials and configurations, provides accurate cost information, and provides the necessary information to allow successful manufacture of components and assemblies.
- Design control via PDM system.
- Provide support for Production with trouble shooting during the testing of products.
- Supports supplier optimisation and manufacturing engineering of all product developments.
- Ensures that products comply fully with all relevant external certification and necessary approvals are in place based on the delivery goals of the project.
- Works to gain an in-depth understanding of customer and user interaction with Loma’s products that can be fed into both development of products and continuous improvement program.
- Operates with a continuous improvement methodology, ensuring the appropriate processes, tools and techniques are developed and adopted.
- Advocates ITW 80/20 and other toolbox standards / initiatives into everything we do.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the position holder must carry out tasks assigned by their supervisor that are essentially related to their duties.
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level in an Electrical/ Electromechanical / Mechatronics Engineering based subject and have significant similar experience in an appropriate multi-disciplinary engineering environment (food equipment, capital equipment, instrumentation, machinery, aerospace, etc.)
- Solid understanding of Electrical engineering principles and a significant grasp of mechanical engineering concepts used in industrial applications.
- Demonstrable experience of understanding customer requirements, developing ideas and turning them into concepts and finessing them into commercial products released to market.
- Highly proficient at use of a modern CAD system, ideally SOLIDWORKS / SOLIDWORKS Electrical, developed in current role, fundamentally producing 2D technical drawings, including Electrical schematics.
- Developed understanding of industrial electrical systems (e.g. PLC, control panels, etc.); able to understand the principles of using various electrical components and able to read and interpret electrical drawings.
- Demonstrable Hands-on approach, with good leadership and people/ influencing skills to get things done.
- Good communication and presentation skills, highly collaborative and can interact well with both internal and external parties.
- A sound understanding of relevant standards (i.e. Machinery Directive, 60204 and 13849-1.)
- Familiarity with developing Bills of Materials, configuration and other supporting information. Must have prior experience of design control using a PDM/PLM system.
- Advanced at creating clear and concise written documents and reports.
- A developed technical proficiency in software tools and technology, SOLIDWORKS or similar, PDM/PLM systems, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and ERP system.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally on short trips if/when required.
- Understanding of the design requirements for equipment intended for the Food Industry.
- A good grasp of product handling challenges and solutions in conveyorised industrial applications.
- Knowledge of X-ray machine design and safety standards.
- Masters degree preferred.
LOMA is a critical part of food safety and quality.
Want to work for a company who protect the consumer whilst also having a highly commercial focus?
LOMA SYSTEMS is a premium worldwide manufacturer of inspection equipment, used to identify contaminants and product defects in the food and pharmaceutical industries. LOMA Systems has over 50 years of experience developing and installing equipment that ensures when products leave the factory they are contamination free, to the quality intended and safe for you as the consumer.
Our culture is hands-on.
At Loma Systems every individual is encouraged to take the initiative to get things done, and you will have the opportunity be make a real impact. LOMA Systems’ parent company is Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a fortune 250 diversified industrial manufacturer of value added consumables and speciality equipment. ITW live by a philosophy of autonomy and a decentralised culture. This unique relationship means Loma systems can offer a personalised experienced to each and every employee, whilst offering the career progression and stability that comes from working for a larger organisation.
At Loma and ITW we leverage the 80:20 principle in everything we do. Although we are serious about what we want to achieve and are agile in our nature, our culture is friendly and positive. If you have a proactive approach and want to make an impact, we want to hear from you.
Please click HERE to apply.