Date Posted: Monday 17 August 2015
Job title: Design Engineer (SOLIDWORKS)
Responsible to: Chief Designer
Responsible for: The candidate will be responsible for creating 3d models, assemblies and detailed engineering drawings to support project engineers and the manufacturing department.
The position involves maintaining key relationships with a supply chain on the one hand and assembly operatives on the other.
As part of a small team the successful applicant will be responsible for driving multiple projects through to manufacture, reporting to the Technical Director and seeking industry specific application knowledge from senior management and in-house sales team.
Related work: The person is expected to perform the following functions on a daily basis:
• Proper interpretation of design specifications, drawings and sketches;
• Preparation of SOLIDWORKS drawings of mechanical, electrical and electronic equipment;
• Preparation of manufacturing and operation manuals;
• Generating production drawings;
• Review of production drawings in line with the Master Production Schedule;
• Construction and management of detailed products’ bills of materials and revision control.
• Liaison with purchasing through all stages of prototyping and production phases.
• Liaison with suppliers to ensure that components are cost-effectively manufactured to meet design requirements, in terms of quality and efficiency
Related skills: The candidate we are looking for should have:
• Degree level or equivalent education with some related work experience;
• Proficient in use of SOLIDWORKS package, latest edition (proficiency in ‘Sheet Metal’ module is mandatory);
• Skills in AutoCAD or similar 2D CAD software;
• Knowledge in rendering package in SOLIDWORKS to produce conceptual images for client’s approval;
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Office package;
• High work ethics;
• Good time management skills;
• Positive contribution to team participation;
• Focused, methodical approach with good analytical skills;
Your Experience / Skills
Experience & technical knowledge
• A background in product engineering
• An excellent understanding of mechanical design (with an emphasis on sheet metal fabrication)
• A good basic understanding of electrical and electronic engineering basics would be advantageous).
• A formal qualification in an engineering or scientific filed would be advantageous.
• A practical engineer with a ‘can-do’ ‘hands-on’ approach.
• Extensive IT skills, particularly those used for CAD, calculation packages and those used for compiling manufacturing,
• The ability to deal effectively with ambiguity, and multiple problems, whilst working under pressure, and the ability to consider various factors, including use of the product, its environment, materials, and the economics of production.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Be creative, innovative and have attention to detail.
• Able to work effectively as a member of a small team.
• Excellent communication skills
• Active listening skills
• Strong problem solving ability
• Accomplished team player
• Strong sense of priority
• Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines