We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our growing team. If you have a strong background in mechanical engineering (BEng. min 2:1 and proven industry experience), an analytical approach to problem solving and an interest in clean-tech, please get in touch. Your skill, insight and ingenuity will directly shape Entocycle’s creation of the most efficient Black Soldier Fly factory in the world.
Contract: Full-time employment or self-employed contractor considered
Location: London Bridge with opportunity to work part-time from home
Holiday Allowance: 36 days per annum inc. bank holidays
Anticipated start date: Oct 2020
We are the UK’s leading insect biotech company. Our mission is to sustainably feed the world with the power of insects. Here Silicon Valley technology meets food waste-recycling. We are developing the world's most efficient and sustainable system to produce protein by turning local food waste into protein-rich insects to feed animals.
You will join an experienced team of engineers and entomologists to design and deliver a highly automated, smart insect production facility - a groundbreaking project which will be the largest plant of its kind ever to be built in the UK.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- To define bespoke solutions based on sound engineering principles to challenging problems referencing the company's internal scientific data and prior art.
- Sound knowledge of mechanical engineering science and practice. (Stress & deflection of elements and structures, scientific method, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, powertrains, Design for Manual Assembly, Value engineering)
- To understand the underlying physics of complex problems and carry out appropriate calculations by hand or program to analyse and validate solutions.
- Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept and proof of principle through to developed prototypes and production. Solid understanding of manufacturing processes and willingness to get hands dirty in installation and commissioning of designs
- Develop 3D CAD (preferably SOLIDWORKS), engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies.
- Ability to mentor and guide junior team members. Supervisory experience and experience in approving designs for release.
- Work closely with commercial and engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are clearly specified and met within the planned timeline of the project.
What we stand for
Our team is made up of a diverse group of people who are experts in their field. They care about our mission and directly contribute to shaping our organisation.
We want to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, reflecting the diverse society we work in. We will support you throughout the recruitment process with any reasonable adjustments required in accordance with the Equality Act. Please contact the Recruitment Team if you require support.
We are proud of the working environment and culture we have built which can be summarised as follows:
We care: about the planet, our people and our customers
We are brave: bold and courageous, always
We are hungry, foolish and humble
We commit to excellence and expect that from each other
We have the freedom to make decisions: acting in the company’s best interest
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title and your name in the subject line of your email (e.g. Intermediate Mechanical Engineer - Jane Doe). Applicants should include a covering letter, which includes examples of your relevant skills and experience, your CV, and the names and e-mail addresses of two referees. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Applications must be received by 24 Aug 2020.