Date Posted: Monday 6 January 2020
Overall Job Objective:
Responsibility and accountability for the operation of the Design Department including design, reliability engineering (DFM), NPI, project management, production equipment, fixtures & tooling. To ensure designs meet all required specification, testing, durability and commercial requirements.
The engineering function will cover all of the following definitions within the business :
Invents, Researches, Develops, Designs, Builds, Tests, Improves, Validates, Maintains & Project Manages, Structures, Machines, Devices, Systems, Components, Materials, Algorithms and Processes to the required standards of Quality, Cost, Timing, Delivery and Safety.
• Develop preliminary sketches or schematics, layouts and detailed assembly drawings
• Operate CAD (SOLIDWORKS) to generate modelling and simulation of existing and new designs to meet engineering specifications using DFMEA, DFM and DFA techniques
• Implement best practice engineering design processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance.
• Gather all necessary information to develop cost effective and innovative designs to ensure that products continually meet the demands of the customer and the business objectives.
• Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and to take action to mitigate risk and develop opportunities. Investigate new markets with research & development of current products.
• Initiate and develop creative and innovative Value Analysis/Engineering programmes on existing and new products for design and manufacturing improvements.
1. Working closely with Engineering Manager responsible for overseeing all aspects of design from concept to contract award to production handover.
2. As part of a team and where required responsible for all associated NPI/Project Management/Production Equipment including process optimization techniques.
3. Responsible for leading design projects from concept to manufacture.
4. Responsibility in control and issuing of documentation relating to release of design changes in line with IATF processes.
5. Involvement in a multi-disciplined team responsible for DFMEA/FMEA and all aspects of APQP.
6. A keen awareness of Health & Safety legislation .
7. Awareness and involvement in quality accreditations ie IATF 16949, ISO14001, COP, VCA and any others as and when required.
8. Work with sales & marketing departments on product development & market opportunities.
9. Develop and maintain strong relationships both internally and externally.
10. Liaise and coordinate with clients (F2F), members of the engineering team and contractors on technical design issues.
11. Interpreting client requirements to ensure that technical, legislative and commercial aspects are delivered.
12. Review & research environmental impacts/new materials for use in designs.
13. Review the use of technological systems that improve designs.
14. Carry out any product related task when reasonably requested to do so by management.
We are looking for a highly motivated , hands on and dynamic design engineer with creativity, enthusiasm, confidence and the drive to make things happen.
You must have a proven design/technical/engineering background with an ability to add value.
The successful candidate will ideally possess a minimum qualification of a HNC/degree in a relevant technical discipline with proven design credentials.
A mechanical engineering based degree with experience of electro-mechanical coupled with knowledge of IC engine fundamentals with valve train systems would be particularly beneficial.
Design experience with SOLIDWORKS or similar software using DFMEA/FMEA and knowledge of DFM & DFA techniques is essential.
We want “make it happen” mentality. You’ll be the type who can make things happen without the huge resources of a multi-national.
Our “ideal candidate” list comprises :
• Knowledge of a wide range of engineering techniques and concepts
• Be a good communicator and presenter
• Be able to respond well to pressure
• Think creatively
• Excellent problem solving abilities
• Highly self motivated
• Ability to interact and cooperate with a wide range of people
• Be organised, analytical and methodical
• Be proactive and be able to take the initiative
• Be well presented with a professional manner
• Be persuasive and diplomatic
• Have a good business awareness/acumen.
• Be able to work within a budget
• Possess high integrity
• Minimum 4 years experience in a technical/engineering/design background
• Possess a degree/HNC in a relevant technical discipline ideally mechanical engineering.
• Experience of electrical & ideally electronic assemblies.
Your Experience / Skills
• Mechanical Design