Date Posted: Thursday 5 February 2015
The Company (having recently acquired the assets of Cubewano Limited) designs and manufactures small engines used primarily in UAVs (unmanned air vehicles) and ground power applications. These engines (currently ranging from circa 2-40 HP) are highly advanced, fuel injected, Wankel rotaries employing many advanced materials and manufacturing techniques.
The products are very high technology, high value engines primarily used in military applications; there is a high emphasis on intellectual property, technology and corporate infrastructure.
We are a small but rapidly expanding business and this is a great opportunity to be involved at the inception of something very exciting.
The role will consist of the following:-
1. Package design of engine installations
2. Mechanical design of subsystems such as rotating assemblies, pumps mechanisms etc.
3. Tolerance stack up calculations for designs and critical mechanisms
4. Modification to current designs under the guidance of the design manager
5. Knowledge of materials and properties
6. Creation and modification of manufacturing drawings
7. Design and detailing of components for sensible cost manufacturing
a. Machined components
b. Sheet metal
d. Injection mouldings
e. Blow mouldings
8. Design and detailing of wiring harnesses and electrical systems (guidance from electrical engineer)
9. Liaise with clients on technical matters, as required
10. The ability to manage oneself to ensure the accurate and timely completion of tasks (in line with the project management system)
11. Ensure compliance with all Company policies and procures
12. Project an positive image of oneself and the Company to others
The role will report to the Senior Design Engineer.
We employ a cross functional team environment which means you will see a project through from initial concept, design, manufacturing, inspection, assembly, testing and finally delivery and support to the customer. Many of our customers are overseas so there may be a small amount of overseas travel required.
Your Experience / Skills
1. Broad engine/powertrain experience through hands-on or in design
2. Solid Works CAD proficient – ideally with formal training
3. Use of PDM systems such as PDM Enterprise
4. Educated to degree level or similar
5. At least 3 years’ experience in a similar design capability
6. Recognise the implications of working in a small team environment
7. Use of MS Office products in particular word, excel and outlook
Self-motivated with an ability to see what needs doing and do it right. Whilst you may have to work alone, you should also be able to communicate with and participate in small group environments. Attention to detail is essential whilst being able to plan ahead and keep sight of the bigger picture. You must be good at problem solving with an ability to work to fixed deadlines.
The salary for this post will be commensurate with the capabilities and qualifications of the candidate.
Range: £28,000 - £38,000.
Please indicate current salary and expectations when applying for this post.