Date Posted: Tuesday 14 February 2017
The GDS design team is looking for a design engineer with a mechanical engineering background to support the Technical Manager and Technical Director with the design and development of computer controlled materials testing systems. The role will encompass designing / learning to design pressure vessels, electro-mechanical actuators, transducers and electrical / electronic integration. The role is varied and requires an individual to have a hands-on approach with a keen eye for detail and willingness to learn.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Generate new 3D models / designs using SOLIDWORKS package
• Generate clear and concise 2D detailed drawings and BOMS from 3D Models
• Generate and maintain all design related documentation, this includes generating design files and logging all relevant calculations and items.
• Modify and adapt existing designs under the guidance of the Technical Manager and Technical Director
• Help support the production department by timely supply and generation of information packs and documents prior to production, including writing assembly instructions documents if required.
• Some Prototype assembly and test
• Improve existing designs as required or through own initiative / ideas
• Keep product records of design specs, design processes and all relevant calculations
• Generate and take responsibility for all relevant design calculations and record them in the product files
• Present all documentation to Technical Manager in a thoroughly checked state such that potential errors are kept to a minimum
• Previous use of SOLIDWORKS
• An understanding of mechanical design calculations and SI units
• Practical hands-on engineering knowledge
• Awareness and knowledge of machining operations and materials
• Some experience of design of high accuracy mechanical devices and components
• Appreciation of tolerances for application requirements and economic manufacture
• Experience in the use of AutoCad / Draftsight
• Good project management skills
• Knowledge of pressure vessels and design codes
Your Experience / Skills
2 years in a similar role