Date Posted: Tuesday 1 March 2016
Spiral Construction is the leading manufacturer of bespoke spiral and helical stairs in the UK. An established, and fast growing company, who are well known within the industry for their high quality products and services. We currently have some fantastic opportunities to support the growth and investment at the manufacturing site in Helston, Cornwall.
We have a great opportunity available for a proven CAD Design Manager to join a successful manufacturing company to oversee the work of a team of experienced CAD designers on new and existing products and projects. This is a hands-on role for an experienced design manager. The successful candidate will be managing a team of 7 working in both 3D (SOLIDWORKS) and 2D (Autocad) so experience with these systems is essential, but good management experience is crucial.
Key Responsibilities of the Design Manager:
• Building and developing a successful team in a design environment.
• Use hands-on experience to effectively lead and motivate team members to deliver exceptional quality designs which combine creativity with fabrication and installation knowledge.
• Work with designers to check designs to ensure that all appropriate safety factors have been incorporated into designs and that the design is fit for purpose.
• To ensure that project targets of time, cost and technical performance are achieved as required and individual and departmental KPI’s are achieved.
• Attend meetings as and when required with customers, suppliers and other departments to review design requirements, schemes and progress.
• Encourage designers to give due consideration to the selection of materials and compounds to be used, most effective and economical method of manufacture and examine the possibilities for incorporating standard components, parts and materials to manage costs.
• Liaison with all departments to ensure cost effectiveness and efficient design for manufacture and performance.
• Involvement with outside suppliers as and when required to finalise selection of processes, materials, costs and availability.
Your Experience / Skills
• Must have previous managerial experience.
• Proficient in CAD drawing software SOLIDWORKS.
• Must have a disciplined approach and work to a high level of accuracy.
• Must have at least 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
• Must have suitable experience in construction or a related industry.
• Fabrication experience, particularly of steelwork/metal components, i.e. balconies, railings etc.
• Experience working with third party contractors and support services.
• Experience of individual performance management techniques.
Essential Behavioural Competencies:
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both written and verbally.
• Lives within or has the ability to relocate to a commutable distance of mid Cornwall.
• Self-motivated and capable of working and managing own time as well as that of others.
• Willing to support other teams and individuals to meet the overall needs of the business.
• Clean & tidy work ethic with particular attention to housekeeping.
• Adhere to a high standard of business and personal ethics.