Are you an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a background in aerospace looking to venture into the realms for laser communication?
Joining us at Archangel Lightworks, you will be responsible for the development of our structural and mechanical systems for our optical communication terminals, with a near term focus on ground systems. This includes modifying existing designs to meet new needs in addition to designing new equipment. You will work closely with the project lead and control systems engineer to deliver high performance structures and mechanical pointing devices.
Join us and you will be working with a fun, experienced, and forward-thinking space engineering team to deliver transformative free-space lasercom solutions to help solve some of Earth’s most critical problems, from economic inclusion to climate change. But that’s not all! We work extensively with aerospace primes, ESA, space agencies and specialist research partners which will provide you with exposure to cutting-edge technologies and exciting challenges, all in a fast-paced, supportive startup environment. You will be an integral part of a growing team which has already won international prizes and awards including having completed the Catalyst Accelerator which is backed by the US Air Force, Space Force and Microsoft.You will make an impact by:
- Designing structural components, actuation mechanisms for free space optical communication systems
- Performing Finite Element Analysis of components and structures to inform design and support verification of requirements, from load case definition to delivery of technical reports
- Documentation of design and analysis for internal tracking and external customer deliverables
- Writing detailed assembly procedures and technical build information
- Designing and manufacturing test equipment, working closely with AIT personnel
- Undertaking the integration of mechanical components/assemblies in Archangel Lightworks’ AIT facilities
- Participating in document preparation and design reviews throughout each phase of payload development
- Creating BOMs for systems and subsystems
- Managing CAD and FEA software tools
- Work package management and responsibility for estimating, schedule & budgets
- Managing subcontractors as needed for specialist structural design, analysis and manufacturing tasks.