Date Posted: Wednesday 21 May 2014
Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is the European division of the Transportation Division of Industrial & Social Infrastructure Systems Company of Hitachi Ltd. Following the success of our Javelin trains and the recent Intercity Express Programme contract award, we are going from strength to strength. Building on a proud history in the rail industry and a global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership, Hitachi Rail Europe is committed to the long-term development of a strong rail and infrastructure industry in the UK and Europe.
We are now looking to build our Hitachi Rail Europe UK Design Office Team and we have an exciting range of opportunities available. This is a fantastic chance to join at the outset and be a key part of the growing team who will produce innovative designs for our trains and associated systems.
• Leading the Design Office management of project direction, resources, programme and budget to deliver successful solutions for rolling stock and systems development.
• Application of all relevant technical and safety requirements and the implementation of standards through the entire project.
• Application of quality and configuration control techniques to all projects to ensure that they are delivered to a standard acceptable to Hitachi and its customers.
• Lead relationships with internal and external suppliers for the design, manufacturing, operational and maintenance interfaces required for train systems.
• Lead the identification and selection of external engineering organisations / resource and manage their on-time delivery of work-scope in alignment with Japanese based design staff.
• Lead the production of mechanical and electrical component designs for rolling stock vehicles and associated systems using CAD systems and/or electrical schematics.
• Lead the development of concept and detailed engineering designs in conjunction with colleagues based in Japan and the UK with regard to the application of mechanical systems into railway vehicles and systems.
• Actively engage in the management of the supply chain in terms of relationship management, holding and managing project meetings, technical support, programme management and the drafting of technical requirements.
• Support the recruitment of suitable skilled and correctly qualified resource in the Design Office to produce the necessary deliverables at the time required.
• Support involvement of external stakeholders, legislation, maintenance and assembly in specifications and design to ensure that requirements are captured in the final design of the product.
• Concept and compile bid material for the engineering design, development and delivery of new trains and systems as required by the customer specifications and in conjunction with other functions.
Your Experience / Skills
Key skills and knowledge are likely to include:
• Engineering design experience in a multi-disciplined design environment.
• Experience in engineering design of mechanical systems technology in all or part of the following; the detailed design, prototype, test and build of passenger vehicles including, trains, cars, vans, buses, MOD, aeroplanes and fixed or mobile plant structures such as wind farms, cranes or earth moving machines. This can include academic projects as well as industry projects.
• Experience in the operation and application of CAD, preferably SOLIDWORKS and AutoCAD together with electrical schematic packages.
• Experience in leading, managing and directing a project team and the proven ability to work to a programme.
• Experience in the control of project budgets and the best use of resources within a multi-disciplined office.
• Knowledge and/or experience of the practical application of standards in engineering, either those of the railway industry or anoth