Date Posted: Wednesday 21 May 2014
Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is the European division of the Transportation Division of Industrial & Social Infrastructure Systems Company of Hitachi Ltd. Following the success of our Javelin trains and the recent Intercity Express Programme contract award, we are going from strength to strength. Building on a proud history in the rail industry and a global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership, Hitachi Rail Europe is committed to the long-term development of a strong rail and infrastructure industry in the UK and Europe.
We are now looking to build our Hitachi Rail Europe UK Design Office Team and we have an exciting range of opportunities available. This is a fantastic chance to join at the outset and be a key part of the growing team who will produce innovative designs for our trains and associated systems.
• Ensure successful delivery of rolling stock and systems projects through effective Project Engineering management.
• Linking with relevant internal and external suppliers for the design, manufacturing, operational and maintenance interfaces required for train systems.
• Use CAD systems and/or electrical schematics to:-
o Produce mechanical and electrical component designs for rolling stock vehicles and associated systems.
o Assemble components and systems into trains to demonstrate compatibility and assembly techniques.
o Produce engineering CAD data for the manufacture of components and systems either by Hitachi or system suppliers.
• Electrical Systems Focused Role - Work with colleagues based in Japan and the UK to develop concept and detailed engineering designs relating to train electrical systems including those to the wayside (between train and infrastructure).
• Mechanics and Materials Focused Role - Work with colleagues based in Japan and the UK to develop concept and detailed engineering designs relating to new materials for railway vehicles and systems.
• Deliver projects in line with budget and schedule requirements.
• Engage in the management of the supply chain in terms of relationship management, project meetings, technical support, programme management and drafting of technical requirements.
• Support involvement of external stakeholders to ensure that requirements are captured in the final design of the product.
• Manage CAD data ensuring that configuration is controlled in accordance with company standards.
• Compile bid material for the engineering design, development and delivery of new trains and systems.
• Ensure relevant technical and safety standards are identified and applied through the design and construction phase
• Regular travel within the UK and Europe together with travel to Japan is a requirement of the role.
Your Experience / Skills
• Project Engineering experience in a multi-disciplined design environment.
• CAD experience, preferably SOLIDWORKS and Autocad together with electrical schematic packages.
• Experience of working within a project team to a programme schedule.
• Ability to apply engineering standards.
• Demonstrated track record of managing both staff and suppliers to successfully delivery projects.
• Good knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft office packages.
• Highly motivated and ability to work as a team player across multicultural teams.
• Excellent analytical/ problem solving and organisation/time management skills.
• Experience of the following would be a distinct advantage:-
-Working in a rail environment / knowledge of railway vehicle standards.
-Familiarity with P6 programming.
-Interfacing with clients, development teams and contractors on a technical level,
-Knowledge of European TSIs, UK national rules, The Yellow Book and similar.
-Handling of contract negotiations an