Date Posted: Wednesday 21 May 2014
Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is the European division of the Transportation Division of Industrial & Social Infrastructure Systems Company of Hitachi Ltd. Following the success of our Javelin trains and the recent Intercity Express Programme contract award, we are going from strength to strength. Building on a proud history in the rail industry and a global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership, Hitachi Rail Europe is committed to the long-term development of a strong rail and infrastructure industry in the UK and Europe.
We are now looking to build our Hitachi Rail Europe UK Design Office Team and we have an exciting range of opportunities available. This is a fantastic chance to join at the outset and be a key part of the growing team who will produce innovative designs for our trains and associated systems.
• Lead the application of all relevant technical and safety requirements and the implementation of standards through the entire project.
• Effectively manage the project engineering with all relevant, internal and external suppliers for the design, manufacturing, operational and maintenance interfaces required for train systems.
• Lead the identification and selection of external engineering organisations / resource and manage their on-time delivery of work-scope in alignment with Japanese based design staff.
• The production and assembly of mechanical and electrical component designs for rolling stock vehicles and associated systems using CAD systems and/or electrical schematics.
• The production of engineering CAD data suitable for the manufacture of components and systems either by Hitachi or system suppliers.
• Drive the development of concept and detailed engineering designs in conjunction with colleagues based in Japan and the UK with regard to the application of electrical systems into railway vehicles and systems.
• Control the cost and programme of each project to deliver the requirements within budget and to the required schedule.
• Actively engage in the management of the supply chain in terms of relationship management, holding and managing project meetings, technical support, programme management and the drafting of technical requirements.
• Support involvement of external stakeholders, legislation, maintenance and assembly in specifications and design to ensure that requirements are captured in the final design of the product.
• The management of CAD data ensuring that configuration is controlled in accordance with company standards.
• Concept and compile bid material for the engineering design, development and delivery of new trains and systems as required by the customer specifications and in conjunction with other functions.
• Support the management of commercial activities of the Project team to ensure that contract terms are met.
• Engage in the process of Programme Management with the team to ensure that the Integrated Plan is used as the driving mechanism for project delivery.
• Regular travel within the UK and Europe together with occasional trips to Japan is a requirement of the role including a 6 month placement in Japan 2015/2016.
Your Experience / Skills
• Project Engineering experience in a multi-disciplined design environment.
• Experience in engineering design of mechanical systems technology in all or part of the following; the detailed design, prototype, test and build of passenger vehicles including, trains, cars, vans, buses, MOD, aeroplanes and fixed or mobile plant structures such as wind farms, cranes or earth moving machines. This can include academic projects as well as industry projects.
• Experience in the operation and application of CAD, preferably SOLIDWORKS and Autocad together with electrical schematic packages.
• Knowledge and/or experience of the practical application of standards in engineering, either those of the railway industry or another sector.
• Leading and managing a team of staff including the control of workload to deliver to programme.
• Experience in the management of suppliers and the successfully delivery of projects involving sub suppliers.
• Good knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft o