Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is the European division of the Transportation Division of Industrial & Social Infrastructure Systems Company of Hitachi Ltd. Following the success of our Javelin trains and the recent Intercity Express Programme contract award, we are going from strength to strength. Building on a proud history in the rail industry and a global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership, Hitachi Rail Europe is committed to the long-term development of a strong rail and infrastructure industry in the UK and Europe.
We are now looking to build our Hitachi Rail Europe UK Design Office Team and we have an exciting range of opportunities available. This is a fantastic chance to join at the outset and be a key part of the growing team who will produce innovative designs for our trains and associated systems.
Key activities and responsibilities include:
• Support the delivery of train and associated system designs in terms of the correct application of Hitachi specific standards and the compliance to industry / international standards for design.
• Lead and maintain the implementation of ISO 9001 within the Design Office as a part of the wider compliance to the company Quality Management System.
• Design and implement processes and procedures to ensure that the Design Office functions in a manner that compliments and is integrated with the wider Hitachi Quality Plan for train design.
• Lead and maintain the application of railway industry standards within the Design Office with the objective of ensuring that train design is compliant with all relevant standards before manufacture.
• Instigate a Design Office configuration control mechanism for staff to follow which is efficient and effective at ensuring information received by the Office is managed and sent from the Design Office is accurate.
• Support the company in the review of industry standards and maintain links with others within the company to ensure that the Design Office is suitably aware of forth coming changes in industry standards.
• Assisting in the writing and review of company standards as required.
• Managing submissions in accordance with a specified Project programme.
• Support the relationship with the appointed approvals bodies with regard to the review and management of submissions.
• Control the cost and programme of each project to deliver the requirements within budget and to the required schedule.
• Regular travel within the UK and Europe together with trips to Japan is a requirement of the role.
• Experience in engineering design of mechanical systems technology.
• Experience working within a project team and the proven ability to work to a programme schedule.
• Knowledge and/or experience of the practical application of ISO 9001 within a design environment.
• Good knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft office packages.
• Highly motivated and ability to work as a team player across multicultural teams.
• Excellent analytical/ problem solving and organisation/time management skills.
• Experience of working in a rail environment / knowledge of railway vehicle standards and there application in train design would be a distinct advantage.