Date Posted: Thursday 12 May 2016
To implement the Design process so as to ensure the excellence and quality of the work carried out in the design and development of new and existing products in support of future business opportunities.
Responsibilities and challenges:
• To undertake electromechanical product design to manufacture and develop new and existing products.
• To implement Design Rules, Policies and Standards, ensuring that methods and tools are used which optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the design engineering process such that tasks are completed to required quality levels within agreed cost and timescale targets.
• To work closely with other areas of the business, and external design houses, product suppliers and clients, to develop new products.
• To provide technical support to the Sales and Production functions and other departments, as required, to meet business objectives.
• To ensure the product design portfolio is developed and co-ordinated, in order to increase the unit profit margin on products, by innovation of design, while optimizing the re-usability of designs and achieving flexibility through design modularity.
• To assist in the development of the Department's Computer Aided Design System, ensuring that data is managed in a structured manner, identifying shortfalls in equipment and performance and recommending appropriate countermeasures and improvements to ensure efficient operation.
• To complete objectives against specified criteria, including functionality, performance, reliability, cost and timescales.
• To ensure the integrity of design and/or specification of a wide range of electromechanical, locking devices and equipment, including complex mechanisms, metal and plastic die-cast casings and components, stamped forgings, pressed and laser cut sheet metal components, mountings and packaging for solenoids / DC motor drives/electronics/pcb's. A wide range of coatings providing both protective and decorative finishes.
• Test designs, including performance, strength, durability, environmental and safety and including preparation of mechanical validation and acceptance test procedures.
• Effective modification of existing products and the processing of associated release documents.
• To design and develop electromechanical products in line with the Company's Strategic Product Development Process.
• Integrity of risk analysis electromechanical mechanisms to identify need for additional work or back-up solutions and highlighting any uncovered high risk areas.
• To maintain awareness and knowledge of appropriate security systems technology, in order to ensure that the Company can sustain its competitive position on technical grounds.
Your Experience / Skills
Use of a 3D system, preferably SOLIDWORKS. Experience designing small mechanisms is desirable.
Working knowledge of stress analysis, FMECA, durability and environmental testing would be an advantage along with the ability to be able to interpret relevant British and European standards.
Planning and Organisation
Ability to work under own initiative
Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
Adaptable and able to work within a project team
High levels of commitment
*Worldwide travel may occasionally be required.