Date Posted: Tuesday 29 October 2013
Ready to take on a new challenge?
Exciting Recruitment Opportunity
Job Title: Principal Mechanical Engineer
Reporting to: Director of Engineering
JJS Electronics Ltd is a successful and expanding company, based in Lutterworth, Leicestershire, that provides electrical, electronics and electromechanical manufacturing services to a diverse mix of customers from a broad range of industries and is part of the Paragon Electronics Group of companies.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Engineering team for an ambitious talented and confident individual who can make an immediate impact in the department.
Purpose of the role:
To provide design expertise to assist customers in product development, ease of fabrication and assembly, and cost reduction. Provide leading technical and project management skills using a structured project plan. Ensure that new products with mainly mechanical content are introduced into manufacturing in a timely, efficient, cost effective and accurate manner. Assist in other appropriate technical areas as required.
• Primarily responsible for projects with significant mechanical and some electrical content.
• Assist customers develop products, especially where customisation, DFM and/or cost reduction is required.
• Identify and implement cost reduction opportunities on mechanical assemblies through re-design, selection of materials, fabrication and assembly methods.
• Employ structured project management techniques to ensure timely, cost effective and accurate completion of projects.
• Responsible for ‘front-end’ engineering and completion of New Product Introduction (NPI) using the standard processes and procedures, highlighting DFM and production capability issues as appropriate, and assisting in implementing appropriate assembly lines.
• Ensure the design and implementation of all documents, drawings, process routings, tooling, programming, customer information packs etc. required to facilitate the above.
• Plan, manage and hands-on involvement in all projects allocated to them during the Contract Review process, including liaison with the relevant Account Manager, basic budget and resource control, and closure of issues found during NPI.
• Write and maintain clear assembly procedures for use by technicians and production operators in UK and Czech, de-skilling where possible.
• Investigate and report on mechanical design problems and internal/external customer complaints offering solutions where possible. This may include revising drawings using CAD, and suggesting alternative manufacturing methods and/or materials.
• Delegation of work outside of their core skill-set to other members of the Engineering team, and ensuring delegated work is completed in a timely manner.
• Providing base labour costs for engineering and production as requested.
• Supporting NPI and transition processes for product to be built across group sites.
• Support to Account Managers and New Business Development on technical issues, including liaison with customers and understanding their requirements.
• Support to QA, assisting with inspection, investigations and audits.
• Support to Production and other engineers on technical issues.
• Support to Purchasing, including liaison with suppliers and assistance with supplier selection and audits, manufacturing methods, tooling requirements etc.
• Develop the group mechanical engineering capability through improving Engineering processes and procedures, recommending new software or tools etc.
• Supporting document control and project administration.
• Driving and assisting in continuous improvement activities throughout the business.
A full copy of the job specification and person specification are available upon request.
This position is full time, working Monday to Friday 39.75 hours per week. Due to the nature of the role a flexible approach to working hours is expected with occasional travel to Customers and other Group sites.
Up to £35k depending on experience
If you think you have what it takes for this position please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to Sophie Dallison (Sophie.Dallison@jjselectronics.com) by Tuesday 19th November 2013.
Your Experience / Skills
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of 3 years practical experience within an electro-mechanical manufacturing environment