Date Posted: Friday 12 September 2014
We seek a Mechanical Design Engineer with a substantial degree of experience in the development of product/components that, in particular, have been commercially applied. Our design work requires capabilities in the following areas:
• Knowledge of materials and properties, such as tensile strength, coefficient of expansion etc.
• Understanding of machining processes (turning, milling, grinding, and casting/moulding).
• Understanding of thermal expansion, O-ring seals, brazing, welding, heat treatments, etc.
• Conversant with 3D modeling software (SOLIDWORKS) essential.
• Experience/knowledge of gears, rotational computations, torque.
• Understanding of electrical circuitry and components (isolators, relays, contactors) an advantage
• Understanding of control logic an advantage
• Experience with high speed rotating machinery and bearings an advantage
• Knowledge of rotor-dynamics and prior experience a distinct advantage
• Understanding of pressure-related hoop stress calculations etc., a specific advantage
• Knowledge of software to conduct FEA, stress calculations, pressure and strain calculations.
• Knowledge of Directives such as the Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) and Low Voltage Directive
Your Experience / Skills
SOLIDWORKS MECHANICAL DESIGN SOFTWARE
Familiarity with SOLIDWORKS software is also essential, this being the platform employed for our design and development work.
Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel for documenting and performing calculations required within development work.
The post will also involve you in other activities including the identification of materials, suitable suppliers, procurement and placing orders, issuing instructions for manufacturing of components, assistance in the physical assembly of machinery and associated test rigs, etc.
You will also be required to work within the team on various aspects of testing and validation in order to develop the control and protection strategy necessary for the operation of the rotating machines.
We require a well-organised person with the ability to manage a wide-range of tasks and the management of technical data, files, drawings, spread sheets and so on.
Good communication skills