Utopia is one of the leading bathroom furniture manufacturing brands in the UK with ambitious plans for growth. We have an enviable reputation for quality & design, we are constantly striving to strengthen our position. To support this aim Utopia is looking to expand its R&D team with an additional Product Development Engineer.
This individual will be joining a fast-paced creative environment working to a high level of design and engineering with access to one of the country’s best-equipped furniture manufacturing facilities.
As part of the Marketing & R&D team, the role will report to the R&D Manager.
Project management from conception to production of bathroom furniture & associated products, including the design, development, engineering & product ionisation of new products and the re-engineering and product ionisation of existing products.
• Interpretation & project management of new product briefs from concept to production, including all engineering and technical developments.
• Creation of concept visuals, presentations, and prototyping.
• Set up and management of a continuous plan of product re-engineering
• Responsible for creating CAD data and converting all product data and concepts into fully documented data.
• Working in conjunction with the purchasing team in the sourcing of factored products, from new and existing suppliers.
• Working in conjunction with the marketing team to ensure products are represented and communicated correctly
• Ensuring all relevant industry business standards are met, all CNC programming is completed and logged correctly within the business systems. This detail is achieved through the creation of models, assemblies and technical drawings, assembly instructions and manufacturing information throughout the design and development process.
• Awareness and analysis of market-driven trends both form and function.
• Fulfilment of briefs within the allocated restrictions and time lines.
• Development and engineering of visuals, prototypes and manufacturing data using SOLIDWORKS 2016.
• Determine effective and appropriate construction methods for product designs to achieve quality manufacturing specifications.
• Coordinate product testing, including evaluating and communicating results.
• Liaise with Marketing, Purchasing, Production and IT teams to turn design data into a product that can be manufactured.
• Create product drawings (2 & 3 dimensional) ensuring drawings conform to current business standards and practices.
• Creation of Electronic Product Data Management information via SOLIDWORKS, EPDM and an in-house MRP systems.
• Creation of accurate bills of materials.
• Design and documentation of internal/external product related data, drawings in various formats, instruction sheets in various formats, manufacturing specifications and fitting instructions.