Role: Design Engineer - Solid Works Operative
Date Posted: Friday 9 September 2022
Description OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
To assume responsibility for the design; engineering and drawing of specific projects and to advise at all levels on the construction process of a wide range of Lift Modernisation / Installation Projects, including participation in site surveys. The jobholder will be required to produce construction engineering drawings and a construction pack of information ensuring accuracy of design.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Discuss and receive project details from the Design Manager.
- Discuss project details with the Draughtsman / Surveyor.
- Interpret the project specifications survey in order to produce workable designs.
- Produce and revise layout, manufacturing, design and finishes drawings for bespoke solutions on modernisation and new lift installations.
- Log all incoming and outgoing drawings on the appropriate drawing issue / received sheets.
- Update drawing register sheets.
- Agree drawing lead in time and advise the department when this is likely to be extended.
- Comment and participate in preparing O &M manuals for the Design Department Administrator to produce.
- Develop good relationships with suppliers.
- Work in collaboration with the company buyer to ensure preferred suppliers are used and maintain contracted discounts.
- Ensure that all designs comply with lift industry standards.
- Liaise with customers, contractors and suppliers as required.
- Carry out other such duties as may be deemed, from time to time, as necessary by the management.
- Attend monthly Design Office meetings and update relevant personnel as required with the progress of all Design Office related works.
- Work within a very busy Technical and Engineering team.
- Assisting Project Engineers in the preparation of site surveys and site inspections as necessary.
- Liaise between Managers/Directors, Engineers, Administrators and clients in a courteous manner providing a high quality service.
Planning and Organising
- Together with the Design Manager agree an appropriate programme of design deadlines on assigned projects and to identify and maintain project timelines.
- To undertake the role of project co-ordinator with responsibility for organising and controlling a programme of design work targeted towards project specifications and deadlines.
- Prepare material and fixings list for manufacturing drawings Construct bill of materials and place orders accordingly.
- Carry out site surveys in preparation for procurement of materials and production of design drawings.
- Set up and maintain drawing database with the AutoCAD system.
- Management of information.
- Be prepared to keep up with current technical developments within the industry.
- Maintain and update a Suppliers Library.
Flexibility / Adaptability
- Undertake other work at the direction of the Design Manager / Directors and perform other tasks necessary to achieve overall objectives of Liftec Lifts Ltd.
- Attend meetings with clients; builders and other project participants.
- Ensure Liftec Lifts Ltd is at the leading edge of customer service by maintaining excellent standards of customer care, displaying excellent manners, sensitivity and discretion at all times.
- Display a smart, professional public image in person and over the telephone, recognising that the impression given by the Design Office will impact on the image of the whole company.
- Answer questions from colleagues and clients about design works and general departmental information.
Initiative / Assertiveness
- Initiate constructive ways of working to continually improve the operations of the Design Office
- Adhere to ISO 9001 and OHSAS18001 management system.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described.
Your Experience / Skills
- Completed and success achieved training in SOLIDWORKS
- A full clean driving licence
- Aptitude for general engineering
Skills / abilities and knowledge
- Ability to provide clear, concise, good quality drawings and a high standard end product.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Be fully aware of statutory requirements and industry guidelines regarding health and safety, and inspections
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with a variety of people
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Possess an adaptable approach towards work
- Be thorough, rapid and methodical
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to use initiative
- Excellent time-keeping and attendance record
- Ability to work under pressure Positive approach towards work
- Polite and courteous manner
- Receptive and adaptive to change
- Willing to learn
Literature and numerate
Educated to GCSE level (English and Maths) or equivalent
If you are interested in applying for this job or would like to find out more, please send CV along with introductory email identifying this position to the contact details below: